Top 3 | Natural remedies for dandruff

Details of the products I use for dandruff

For some reason, I didn't tell you about my love for natural and homemade remedies and cosmetics. Whether it is about your hair, your skin or your household, there are a million of natural ways to fix many issues. One of them for me is dandruff that can turn into a nightmare, especially since I care about keeping a social life! As I decided to go green on hair care two years ago, I turned to natural remedies to get rid off this problem. Here is my top 3 of natural products that work wonders on me.

1. TEA TREE & LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OILS


The tea tree has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, among other benefits. Yes, this makes a lot of "anti-something" and this is exactly why this essential oil is amazing. If I had to chose one oil to keep in my medicine cabinet, it would be my bottle of tea tree.

The lavender essential oil (there are several varieties of lavender with different benefits; here I'm talking about the lavandula angustifolia) has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. A lot of "antis" too!

Both of them are particularly effective. Blend one drop of essential oil in your shampoo and wash you hair as usual. After that,  I personally can see an immediate result on my scalp. I then feel an itch-free and cooling sensation that makes me feel like my head ate a chewing-gum (this vision is weird, I concede). The scalp is therefore deeply cleansed and after some time, dandruff eventually disappears!

Precaution for use: essential oils can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Some people may develop an allergic reaction to them thus it is recommended to run a test on the crook of your elbow to make sure you have no skin reaction. Also note that many essential oils are prohibited for pregnant or nursing women and children under a certain age. You must always check the recommendations for use first.

2. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR


Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar is a perfect tool to get rid off dandruff and, most generally, to treat oily scalps. Indeed, its acidity helps the delicate hair scalp balance and prevents dandruff from reoccuring. This is particularly necessary if your tap water is hard since it gives... Dandruff! Dubai residents know what I'm talking about!

You just need to pour 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 litre of water. After shower, rinse your hair with it as a final step. Don't worry, the smell will quickly disappear.

3.  AYURVEDIC POWDERS


There are as many ayurvedic powders as properties! As for dandruff, I use neem, shikakai and neutral henna.

Neem powder has an antibacterial property that treats irritated scalp.
Shikakai powder is a natural cleanser that can even be used alone as a shampoo.
Neutral henna has an anti-fungal and astringent properties that also help hair scalp balance.

Mix a small amount of powder into hot water with a wooden spoon until you have a thick consistency and apply directly to your scalp (or to all over your hair if you want to benefit from the other powders' properties). Leave in for few minutes before washing off. You can also mix two or all these powders at the same time and/or add few drops of the essential oils I mentioned above.


******
***
*

I hope this post will help you to get rid off dandruff thanks to these natural remedies. I personally use them all whenever I feel the need and it always work on me. It is natural, effective, cheap and with a quick result. However, I would advice you to buy them organic and to make sure it is safe for you to use them, especially essential oils. 

Dandruff is a symptom which cause can vary from a person to another. If you don't see any improvement despite the remedies or if you notice bleeding or particularly irritating scalp, you'd better see a dermatologist as it can be a sign of something that need specific treatment (such as seborrheic dermatitis).

Comments

Mariam Ahmed said…
Love it! Thanks for shat your tips!.. I'm looking for something moisturizing other than coconut oil, because it leaves my hair oily.. Any tips.?
Unknown said…
Thank you Mariam! FYI vegetable oils don't moisturize, they have nourishing properties which is different. What are you looking for?